(Makes 8 – 10 servings)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2-6 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups red lentils
- 7-8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 large can pumpkin (no sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Lots of Tabasco
- Combine onion, garlic, celery, carrots, lentils and broth or water in a soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft and lentils have turned to mush.
- Add pumpkin and spices and simmer until all is well blended.
- Add Tabasco to taste.
Nutritional Analysis: (per serving)
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: 135 mg
- Protein: 11 g
- Carbohydrate: 33 g
- Sugars: 7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7 g
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn.
The Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute Preventative Cardiology and Rehabilitation Nutrition Program
For this and other recipes visit: