This easy and elegant recipe will not only please your family and guests, it will nourish your brain. Fish, lentils and vegetables are key foods in the Mediterranean diet. Research shows us that eating these types of foods helps maintain brain health and may reduce the risk Alzheimer’s disease. So, this holiday, let’s celebrate brain health and kick-off a healthier new year!
Holiday Cod with Lentils and Salsa (Serves 4)
- ¾ cup green lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth plus water to cover the lentils
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 4-ounce pieces cod fillet
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth and water to fill saucepan to a boil. Add lentils and gently cook for 25 minutes. Drain broth and water.
- While lentils are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery and salt for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add the tomatoes and lentils and remove from heat. Stir.
- Mix the parsley, basil, capers, mustard, vinegar, plus 3 tablespoons of olive oil and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Place the fish on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Pour the remaining olive oil on each piece of fish. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes or to desired firmness.
Place a serving of lentils on each plate. Top with cod and followed by salsa mixture. Voila! Dinner is ready.
Enjoy this brain healthy recipe this holiday and throughout the year. For more information on nutrition and brain health, go to healthybrains.org/pillar-nutrition/. Find more brain healthy recipes at HealthyBrains.org/recipes/.
This recipe was adapted from the team at Cleveland Clinic Wellness.com. http://www.clevelandclinicwellness.com/DailyDose/archive/2016/09/30/Cod-with-Lentils-and-Salsa-Verde.aspx