Beans. They’re cheap, easy to cook and taste great. Did you know they are loaded with fiber, the B vitamins and many other nutrients that are good for both your heart and brain?
Bring this simple and delicious bean salad to your next barbeque. Use any beans you may have on-hand in your pantry and make extra for a quick and easy snack or summer side-dish. Bean-appetit!
Adapted from Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or your favorite beans)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen edamame
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or your favorite flavor-infused oil – try garlic or ginger!)
- ½ cup chopped shallots, green onion or red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup grated cucumbers
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (choose a variety of colors)
- Handful of chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley or basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or more. The longer it sits, the better it will taste!
- Serve as-is or over field greens.